Tuesday 19 July 2011

Memories...

One of my earliest childhood memories is hiding under the bed covers, late at night, reading by torchlight. Within this cosy cave I went on adventures with Enid Blyton's Famous Five, laughed until I cried with the mishaps of Lucy Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables and later fell in love with the romance of the Regency world of Georgette Heyer. My senses were further heightened by the Famous Five picnicking on jam sandwiches, sardines, boiled eggs, chocolate cake and ginger beer. Enid made the ordinary magical - even breakfast was porridge with cream! Likewise, Lucy Montgomery described lush cherry preserves and fruitcake, pudding sauce (without the mouse), currant wine and who remembers Anne's run-in with that infamous raspberry cordial?  Louisa May Alcott had us crunching on russets while Georgette Heyer portrayed dashing gentlemen who drank brandy and fiesty heroines who supped tea from china cups! Today, I still eat porridge with cream, love Pink Lady apples and have a collection of pretty tea cups and saucers. So my novel idea, not new I am sure, is to read a favourite book and cook a recipe or dish from that book to share with you, just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment